Friday, July 29, 2016


 Samoan Ward Camp Out - It's A Big Deal

This island continues to surprise us. Behind the city park, in Laie, are several acres of carved out grassy meadows. They are referred to as the 'Cricket Fields'. You have no idea it is there until you turn a corner and come right upon it. A Samoan family invited us to watch the husband dance at "an event". We had no idea it was a Ward Camp Out. 

They come from Monday through Saturday. They set their tents up in a big circle, with a meeting pavilion and stage in the middle.


They bring their rugs, their beds and frames, TV's, swimming pools for the kids, bookcases to store their "stuff", and cooking supplies, galore. If they have jobs, they do that during the day and come back each evening.


They cover everything with canopies. (The tent has been pushed out for the day) The island people know how to put up canopies. I could not make a pole wiggle. They are solid!


Monday through Thursday evening, there is entertainment at the central pavilion. Friday evening, is a family dance. We were invited to the Wednesday evening performance. 


Some cute kids wandering around.

Singing Samoan songs. It's always beautiful.

The youth doing a western "Hoedown".

The women performing the graceful Hula. It's always impressive.


 
Spontaneous joy!

The men showing off. This was Sister Cameron's favorite. They are so quick and happy.


We had so much fun, we went back Thursday evening and watched another night of entertainment. After it was over, the music kept playing, and impromptu and irresistible dancing started. Certainly, this was an opportunity that would never come again, so I joined in.
I was the only palangi (white, in Samoan) on the stage. It was soooo much fun. Interpretive dance, for sure. Pretty soon, though, I had myself a partner. He twirled me in Samoan style. It was exhilarating! Turns out there was some judging (?) going on and my partner and I won Oreo's, Saltines and a liter of pop, which I gave away to the youth as we left. I'm pretty sure they were spoiling the Sister Missionary.
Soooo, if you're ever invited to a Samoan Ward Camp Out, go!!

Aloooooha

3 comments:

  1. Ok, now I am reallllly reading through this! Oh my goodness that is so fun. What a cool campout setup. Just a big ole family is what it looks like to me.
    And go you! Way to get up there and dannnnce. That's awesome. And I wouldn't judge you if you did it for the oreos, saltines, and soda. What could you make with all three combined?? Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see Elder Cameron dance that for us when he's back on the mainland, wearing the traditional dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little boy was adorable!

    ReplyDelete